Sir Eduardo Paolozzi

1924-

SCULPTOR

Sir Eduardo Paolozzi was born in Crown Place, Leith, of Italian parents. As a boy he attended Leith Walk School and Holy Cross Academy. He trained at Edinburgh College of Art, worked in Paris for several years shortly after the end of the Second World War, and then taught in London.

A group of three of his major sculptures, which were commissioned jointly by the City of Edinburgh and businessman Tom Farmer, are on permanent display at Picardy Place.
Sir Eduardo has been Professor of Sculpture at the Akademie der Bildenden Kuenste, Munich, since 1981, and he holds honorary degrees from several universities. He was admitted a member of the Royal Academy in 1979. He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1968, and has been Her Majesty's Sculptor-in-Ordinary in Scotland since 1986. He received his knighthood in 1988.

Famous Edinburgh Folk index page
Edinburgh Folk index page
Edinburgh Places index page